Thursday, January 7, 2010

In 2010 I ... Reflected on Some Great Music

Diana put together a great list of her favorite songs from the past year, and requested I do the same for comparison's sake. I can't remember a year I was more excited about music than 2009, so I'm happy to oblige. I love all of these tunes for such different reasons I couldn't possibly rank them, so I'm just tossing them out in alphabetical order by artist.

I and Love and You
- The Avett Brothers
My Love - The Bird and the Bee
Furr - Blitzen Trapper
Blood Bank - Bon Iver
I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked - Ida Maria
Special Party Time for Everyone - Lucy Michelle & The Velvet Lapelles
Sick Muse - Metric
Stadium Love - Metric
Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
24 Hours - Noisettes
This Tornado Loves You - Neko Case
The Reeling - Passion Pit
The Fixer - Pearl Jam
1901 - Phoenix
Girlfriend - Phoenix
Folding Chair - Regina Spektor
Who You Gonna Run To - Solid Gold
Feeling the Pull - The Swell Season
Someday - Tegan & Sara
When We Swam - Thao with the Get Down Stay Down
Island, IS - Volcano Choir
You and I - Wilco
Islands - The xx
VCR - The xx
Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

So there they are - 25 of the songs I listened to most last year. I would have listed 7+ songs from Phoenix's "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" but I know everyone is already familiar with my obsession. And while all these songs were actually released in 2009, there were many more I discovered throughout the year (like Broken Social Scene's "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl" which might be from 2002 ...) that I would have added if not for the year criteria.

Looking forward to what's coming in 2010, and already counting the moments til The xx show in April.

*UPDATE* I was foolish to think I could do this in just 25 songs. This bundle should have also made my original list:

Wild at Heart
- Lookbook
Touches You - Mika
Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
Come Monday Night - God Help the Girl
Heartbeat Radio - Sondre Lerche

No comments:

Post a Comment