Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In 2010 I ... planted.

Planting on a 3rd floor Uptown condo patio is no easy task. Keeping the planted items alive falls in the same category. After several failed orchid attempts, I've managed to keep a hearty aloe vera plant alive for just over a year now - a major feat. I mean, I had to move it indoors for the winter and everything.

Happy 1+ Birthday, AV!

So this year I was feeling more plant-confident. Almost cocky enough to try for blooming greenery ... but not quite. Enter my new coleus plant:


I fell in love with the oversized leaves and nearly-neon green trim, but unlike the pre-potted aloe vera (thanks, IKEA) the coleus required repotting. Thankfully my mom gifted me a pot filled with potting soil last year (So this was something I intended to do last spring? So what?), making the transfer about as easy as microwaving popcorn, my cooking skill equivalent.

In lieu of a traditional saucer I threw a bright blue galvanized tub beneath the pot, snagged at the Target Dollar Spot last year. In all seriousness, it's a small update to the ongoing patio upgrade, but it feels really great to have some added greenery out there.


Pot and soil: Gifted (thanks, Mom!)
Tub/saucer: $1
Coleus: $5.33

For under $7, this is my kind of upgrade. Here's to hoping there won't be a need for a subsequent in memoriam coleus post.

No comments:

Post a Comment